Avid stores the metadata for all footage in Media Composer, but there are only a few ways of exporting that data to work with elsewhere, the most common being an Avid Log Exchange (ALE) file. This metadata is visible in every bin by displaying the different columns and is useful in numerous post-production workflows.
Begin by clicking the clips button from the home page to open the import menu. Next, click the button corresponding to the type of file to be imported.
|Avid (ale)||ALE files are the most common type of bin export, which can be modified and reimported into Avid, but they are in a specialized format that can be easily corrupted.|
|Avid (txt)||TXT files are pure tab-delimited bin exports, which can be opened in many applications, but they are not re-importable back into Avid like ALEs.|
- modify clips
- search and filter clips
- add a prefix and/or suffix
- substitute text
- replace text
- change the case of text
- add custom metadata columns
- export ale files for importing back into Avid
- export csv and xlsx files for spreadsheet compatibility
- Currently, Marvin supports 99 columns of data, so you may need to adjust your bin view settings before exporting from Avid.